Monday, December 8, 2008

The Reason I am a Christian

The path to, or from faith, for many people can be complicated. For many others, it is rather simple. I guess you could say my path is unique to me, as are all paths for all people. There may be similarities in the paths we follow, yet, the paths are unique, because all people are unique.

Having said that, aside from logical conclusion based on academic studies of different religions, I guess I have to say that one of the main reasons I am a Christian is due to the fact that I am "Holy Spirit" convicted. Yes - that means I have spoken in tongues, as well as seen visions.

Now, I assure you, I am not mentally ill, with no family history of mental illness - that I am aware of (not counting that one crazy great-uncle, who may have just been demented from old age). The only drugs I use are birth control pills (I am married with three children - cut me a break). So trust me, this is not the raving of a lunatic here. In fact, before my encounter with the Holy Spirit, I would very much say I was a "Doubting Thomas". But like Thomas, seeing, and hearing, and feeling, is believing. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't believe in Jesus Christ, before my experience. However, before that point, I wasn't CONVICTED that He alone is the Way, the Truth, and Life. Most people who know me would say that I am a fairly intelligent, highly logical thinking person.

So for me, it's a matter of what I cannot logically deny, based on my experience. I wish my faith were greater, however, before my experiences. It was an unpleasant road that led to my conviction. Perhaps with greater faith before hand, I would have been spared much of the bad that I have experienced in life.

While the Holy Spirit is a main reason, the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is just as important, in part, for this reason:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2008/12/07/damon.lok.arafat.walk.cnn

Notice the comments from the Doctor at about :54 seconds into the video.

How sad that with all that Jesus Christ has done, is doing, and will do for mankind, people still feel compelled to go through great personal expense and hardship to gain something they can never seem to grasp - forgiveness. Ladies and gentlemen, enough. As He said - IT IS FINISHED.

No comments: